26 January 2014

Poetry - more than an expression.

Poems have a remarkable ability to express the heart's deepest concerns, desires, and pains. A poem can be triggered by a simple word, a thought, a smile, a tear, and any event close enough to one's mind, heart, and soul. A poem is the manifestation of words being brought to life. What that life means is dependent on the author and the reader, but the result is an extraordinary relationship that is derived from two individuals' commonality.

A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) I wrote a haiku in response to an assignment in my freshman English class. We were told to construct a haiku about any tragedy - ranging from losing a wallet, to heartbreak, to major catastrophes. For the most part, the project was completely freeform and up to our decision so long as we followed the rules of haikus.

After much deliberation, I found the September 11th attacks on the World Trade Centers to be at the top of my selection. However, rather than discuss the particularity of the attacks, I wrote my poem in a much broader aspect to discuss the importance of freedom. The following is what my 9th grade mind came up with:

I fight for freedom
A freedom long forgotten
The freedom of life

No comments:

Post a Comment